The Rodin Museum

Art on Ths Day
 
The Rodin Museum opened on this day in 1919. The Museum is dedicated to the works of the French sculptor Auguste Rodin and is located in the Parisian Hôtel Biron.  

 

Before becoming a museum, the building housed the Society of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a boarding school for girls, and well-known tenants such as Jean Cocteau, Henri Matisse, Isadora Duncan and Rainer Maria Rilke. In 1908, Rodin rented four ground-floor rooms to use as his studios and from 1911 onwards, he occupied the whole building. In 1911, as the French state had committed itself to purchasing the Hôtel Biron, Rodin started to negotiate with it. The artist announced officially his intention to donate all his works to the French state, as well as his drawings and his collection of antiquities, in the condition that the State would keep all these collections at the Hôtel Biron, which would then become the Musée Rodin in exchange of the right to reside there all his life.

 

Listed as a historical monument in 1926, the Hôtel Biron and its grounds have since undergone major renovation and restoration work, to better assert their role as a museum. The most recent scheme is the huge restoration plan which began in 2012 and ended with the reopening of the Hôtel Biron on 12 November 2015, for Rodin’s 175th birthday.